Being in the London removals business for over two decades, we have encountered just about every issue you can think of. One of the problems that our removals teams often face when arriving at a property is that the large home appliances are sometimes not ready to move – this can add extra stress to your move day and extra time in getting moved into your next home.
Here are our top tips for getting your appliances ready for your removal team:
- A few weeks before your move date start to use the food in your freezer. This could mean chicken drumsticks for the kids for a week!
- Around one week before your move, start to use the food in your fridge. Once you have done so, ensure you only refill it with items you will eat before your move (or can move with you in a cool bag)
- Ensure that you have a gas safety certified engineer booked to disconnect any gas appliances well in advance of your move. It is illegal for anyone without gas safety certificate to disconnect gas appliances.
- Any electrical items that cannot be simply unplugged will also need to be removed by an electrician.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer around one to two days before your move. Please ensure any water is removed and they are clean so that we can move them without a fuss.
- Washing machines: The good news is that we can normally deal with basic plumbing when it comes to washing machines. as long as they are easily accessible and plumbed in using the standard connectors, just ask our removals team to disconnect and reconnect these for you. You will need to ensure your water is turned off when this happens.
- If you live in an above ground flat, or have restrictive access to your property, ensure that there is adequate space to get any large appliances out of your property (best to check there is room at the new place too)
- For a smooth removals experience, create a moving home checklist. You can do this yourself, or you can use the one on our website. You can find it here.
We are happy to provide as much removals advice as you need to reduce your stress levels and get everything organised on your behalf. Just let us know what you need when you get your quote.